What Solar Hot Water Rebates Can I Get?
You can actually claim up to 2 separate rebates for your Solar Hot Water System:
1) A State Rebate
2) STCs (previously called ‘Renewable Energy Certificates’)
1. The State Rebate
Varies by every state: Here’s a rundown of each state’s generosity:
Under the Retailer Energy Productivity Scheme (REPS), from 1 January 2021, South Australian households and businesses may be able to receive free or discounted energy efficiency and energy productivity activities from energy retailers participating in the REPS. The incentives available vary for each obliged energy retailer, so contact them to find out what they can offer with regard to upgrading your hot water system.
City of Adelaide Rebate
If your property is in the Adelaide municipal area, you can apply for a 25% rebate (up to a maximum of $1000) of your out of pocket cost (after all other state and federal rebates) for installing a solar hot water system that meets one of these criteria:
Replacing electric instantaneous and storage systems with:
- Gas boosted solar,
- Heat pump boosted solar, or
- Heat pump hot water system
The rebate also applies if you are:
- Adding solar thermal to an existing electric instantaneous and storage systems,
- Adding solar thermal to an existing gas storage or instantaneous systems, or
- Installing a new solar or heat pump hot water system on a new development.
This rebate is subject to funding being available in the Council’s budget, so please visit the City of Adelaide website for more information.
The Solar Homes Program is a rebate of up to $1,000 off the upfront cost of a solar hot water system. The Victorian Government also offer an (up to) $1850 rebate for the installation of a solar PV system, but homeowners are only eligible for one rebate under the Solar Homes Program, so choose carefully. There are a number of conditions and steps to follow ensure you are eligible, so please visit the Solar Homes website for more information.
ACT households can access rebates of up to $1,200 off the cost of a hot water heat pump. The rebates are worth $1,200 if you are a concession cardholder or $750 for non-concession cardholders. ACTewagl is the only supplier who offers the state rebate, so you have to be an ACTewagl customer in order to get this rebate.
WA, QLD, NSW, TAS and NT
No state rebates
2. The other cash handout: STCs (were called RECs)
This wad of cashback comes from selling the system’s Small-scale Technology Certificates (previously called ‘Renewable Energy Certificates’).
To cut a very complicated story very short, how much cash you get depends on:
- The efficiency of the system – the higher the more cash you get.
- The market price of STCs which change in value on a daily basis like any other market traded paper.
- Where you live in Australia – the more tropical the more cash you get.
Basically, you are looking at $400 – $1200 back for your STCs depending on the 3 factors above.
Let the installers work it all out for you! Get 3 Free Quotes For Solar Hot Water Here.